Friday, July 16, 2010

Mantra Meditation: We are related in the Sacred Circle of Life

My first task in doing this meditation was to choose a mantra to chant. I wanted something that was meaningful to me but not boring. Also, I did not want to chant the usual “ohmmm”. The chant, I finally decided upon, was “We are all related in the Sacred Circle of Life.”

My next task was to differentiate between the “mantra” meditation and the “no-mind” one. Instead of breathing and counting to four, I had to focus on chanting the mantra. Sometimes in the beginning, I would doze off, but then I would remember to chant, and remain awake.

As I practiced this mediation, it did get easier to meditate whilst chanting. Each session, I usually started feeling jittery, but once into the chanting, I would calm down. The longer I chanted, the more the tension left my body, and the more relaxed I became.

I now understand why people chant mantras for relaxation. The more you do it, the more refreshed you are. As I did the meditation, I could feel the junk leave my brain. Afterwards, I became more lucid, which surprised me.

Although I was reasonably successful in this meditation, I would not use it in regular practice. I prefer visual meditations to aural ones. I relate to the world through sight and not sound. However it was a good learning experience for me.

No comments: