Friday, January 16, 2009

Astrology and Me


My relationship with astrology has been a contentious one. As a skeptic, I was repulsed that regular people took their signs so seriously. For me, it seemed to fly in the face of free will and self-determination.

My mother-in-law faithfully read her daily horoscope in the newspaper. In addition, she believed that what was said about Virgos described her completely. Meanwhile, other people around me spoke of “the moon being void (of course)” or that “Mercury is going retrograde”. Therefore, I decided I needed to know astrology.

Many people regard astrology as an old form of human understanding. In studying it, I want to know why people think that their star sign is accurate. What is it about the Zodiac that makes people so sure of themselves? What is the effect of the stars and planets on human behavior?

I think that I have become too stultified in my thinking. From time to time, I need to be tipped upside down to see the world differently. I need to step out of the world of logic and science, and see the world with new eyes. Astrology is a fine way to rediscover the world in all of its wonder. The stars are keeping their secrets for me to find out.

------------------------

Copyright Virginia Carper, 2009, animalteachers @ gmail.com

---------------------------------------

No comments: