Saturday, February 14, 2009

Astrology and Me: Chinese


The Twelve Animals (1) of the Chinese Zodiac combined with the Five Elements (2) allows for variations within each year Sign. The elements ensure that people who are born in a given year are not all the same. Since each element affects Dragon differently, a Water Dragon is not the same as a Metal Dragon

The characteristics of the Twelve Animals reflect what the Chinese understood about them. According to some stories, when the Buddha asked to animals to dine with Him, Rat was the most prompt. Therefore the Buddha rewarded Rat with being first in the 12 year cycle. Meanwhile, the Europeans regard Rat with dislike since rats had brought the plague to the West.

The same can be said for the Five Elements. Again, they represent Chinese philosophy. My experience with water is that it reflects everything around it. However, I can expand my ideas to include water as ever-changing.

According to various charts, I am a Water Dragon. The combination of being fluid with being a born leader makes me feel important. (Plus, I do like dragons.) However, this does explain why I love water. As I understand it, Western astrology has no explanation for my watery nature, although I am an earth sign.

For me, Chinese astrology makes more sense since it combines two things that I can relate to - animals and elements. Western astrology uses myths, which I do not relate to as well. For me Chinese Astrology, on the surface, seems more intuitive and easier to grasp.

Footnotes:
1. Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Horse, Monkey, Dog, Pig, Goat, Rooster, and Snake.
2. Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, Earth

------------------------

Copyright Virginia Carper, 2009, animalteachers @ gmail.com

---------------------------------------

No comments: