Friday, November 27, 2009

Pondering the Pythagorean Mysteries (1)



When I first read a book on Sacred Geometry, I became easily bored as well as hopelessly confused. However, when I learned the Pythagorean Mysteries step by step, I rediscovered the Sacred Patterns of the Universe. For me, the Universe is alive with order if we can only pierce our veil of ignorance. The Pythagorean Mysteries offers us a map to go forth and discover. Through the language of mathematics, I could now explore deeper into how the Universe constructs Itself.

To discern the Fibonacci Sequence in nature, I found out that pigeons landing and acorns falling both followed the same pattern: 1-1-2-3-5-8-1-1-2-3. While I was in the hospital recovering from my brain bleed, I counted the pigeons landing and taking off from the roof. I also noted how they grouped themselves when they roosted. This may seem to be a strange thing to do while recovering with a traumatic brain injury. However my wounded brain fell in sync with the birds. As I counted the pattern of acorns dropping from the nearby oak trees, a soothing pattern emerged. The Universe reassured me of its Sacred Order.

In studying the Golden Mean, I discovered magick. Wizards, who explore and exploit the little corners of the Universe, can bring forth wonderful things. For example, the Golden Rectangle offers a subtle wholeness to buildings and art. As the Universe makes itself known to us, it offers surprises such as the Mobius Strip which transforms a two dimensional world into a one dimensional one.



Salvador Dali explored the Pythagorean Mysteries in his art. Referring to himself as a Master Alchemist, Dali ably demonstrated this in his paintings. Going beyond the limits of the two dimensional canvas, He offered us a glimpse of the fourth dimension of time. (One example is his painting, “The Persistence of Memory” (1931).) In doing so, he transformed our perceptions of the dimensions. Using Platonic solids, he represented God with the Octahedron in “The Sacrament of the Last Supper” (1955). Many may consider Dali to be mad, but for me he was the Master Wizard who inducted me into the Pythagorean Mysteries.

No comments: