Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Divination: Norse Runes: The Nine Worlds

Before my brain injury, I wove altar cloths using wool on my lap loom. As I wove, I meditated on what I was creating. During these times, I could sense the Norse Goddess Frigga whispering to me. As the Lady of Asgard, Frigga would guide my efforts, since She holds the Distaff. Eventually, the All-Mother became my Matron.

After I made my Runes, I decided to weave a divination cloth in Frigga’s honor. To ascertain the colors for this Goddess, I consulted Freya Aswynn’s “Northern Mysteries and Magick.” Aswynn said that silver grey was the color for Frigga. I also researched various depictions of Her. I noticed that many featured blue, gold, and white, which were symbolic of her position in Asgard. The green and red of the divination cloth was requested by Frigga to honor the women, as the Keepers of the Household, with their blood and fertility. Then with her Blessing, I wove this cloth for my Runic divination.

 For storing the Runes, I purchased a linen bag and a wooden box (to put the bag in). Although both were undecorated, I felt the Runes (Who I came to see as living entities) wanted a depiction of the Nine Worlds on each. My sense was that the Runes belong to all of the Nine Worlds, from which They gain their substance. After reading Raven Kaldera’s “The Pathfinder’s Guide to the Nine Worlds,” I understood that the Runes also holds the essence of the Worlds in Themselves. Therefore, I think that it was appropriate to have symbols of the Nine Worlds on the box and bag.

 I used two different artistic mediums for the bag and box. I employed magic markers for the bag, and painted the box with tempura paints. Using Kaldera’s narratives, I was able to envision representative colors for each World. Hel, the Land of the Dead, is black and white. (It is the Ninth World, where all the Dead of the Worlds go.) I placed Hel’s symbol in the center of the bag and the bottom of the box. Muspellheim, the Land of Fire, is the orange and red circle. Niflheim, the Land of Ice and Fog, is white and blue (box) or blue and white with a fork (bag). These Worlds are near Hel, and on either side of the box.

 For the worlds of Ljossalfheim, Vanaheim, and Asgard, the circles all contain yellow to represent the golden auras of these worlds. The world of the Light Elves, Ljossalfheim also has green, the traditional color for elves. Vanaheim, the land of the Vanir, includes brown for its fertile fields of grain. Asgard, where Odin the All Father lives, is white symbolizing the shining world of the As.

 Since Jotunheim is similar to Midgard (according to Kaldera), I painted the two worlds green and blue. Midgard, the home of the Humans, is green on the left, and blue on the right. Jotunheim, the land of the Jotuns, is blue on the left, and green on the right. On the bag, the world of the Jotuns is green and brown.

 Svartalfheim is shared by the Dark Elves and the Dwarves. Brown is for the Dwarves, who live underground on this world. Meanwhile, dark green is for the Dark Elves. On the bag, Svartalfheim is red and purple for the forges of the Dwarves and the darkness of the Elves, respectively.

 After I decorated the box and the bag, I placed the Runes first in the bag, then in the box. After They resided for some time in the bag/box, the Runes seemed, to me, happy. I also felt that their power had increased since They were now connected with the Nine Worlds.

 Works Used:
Aswynn, Freya, “Northern Mysteries & Magick,” Llewellyn, Woodbury, MN, 1998.
Kaldera, Raven, “The Pathfinder’s Guide to the Nine Worlds,” Asphodel, Hubbardston, MA, 2007.
Wild, Sean, “The Runes Workbook,” Thunder Bay, San Diego, CA, 2004.
Please note that I decorated the box and bag for this assignment.
Asgard and other worlds
image of box lid and divination cloth
 bag og the worlds
image of the worlds

No comments: