Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Periwinkle (1)


With his bright purpleness, everywhere I walk, Periwinkle greets me. Peeping through the groundcover, He and his Relatives welcome me. However from time to time, I find myself overwhelmed by this plant elder.

In spite of this plant’s intenseness, I was drawn to meditate on Periwinkle. After studying his natural history, I realized that my efforts to know this flower would be fruitful. According to “Heal Yourself with Flowers and Other Essences” by Nikki Bradford, “Periwinkle can help wash away memories of those past experiences and beliefs, which drain the flow of your energy.” A plant that can clear away the past would have to be intense. Therefore, I thought that this plant elder would be a good ally in dealing with life issues.

Since the time of the Anglo-Saxons and later Chaucer, Periwinkle has been a friend of people. In the Old World, Greater Periwinkle (Vinca Major) is used as an astringent and tonic. Lesser Periwinkle (Vinca minor) is used as a part of a tincture for hemorrhages. Because of this plant’s usefulness, Europeans transplanted Him to the New World.

In Europe, Periwinkle is also called the Sorcerer’s Violet. Planted on children’s graves, this plant elder would protect them from malevolent spirits. Since this plant has the power to exorcize evil spirits, people used Him in healing and magic.

No comments: