Tuesday, July 19, 2005

No Squirrels in the Noon Day Sun

Still very hot and humid.

There is a family of squirrels that live on the grounds of the U.S. Interior Department (South Building). This building has lots of oak trees for squirrels to nest and play in. There is also a vendor selling nuts and hot dogs at the corner.

I see the squirrels, very early in the morning, dive bombing into trash cans. They pull out sandwich wrappings and half-eaten bagels. Sometimes, they find a nut that someone threw away.

However, come noon in Washington D.C., and nary a squirrel can be seen. I think they must hide in the branches and sleep. I would if I was a squirrel.

Squirrels teach me when to rest and when to work. They know when to stop and sleep in the sun. In a place like D.C., we could learn a lot about relaxing from the squirrels.

No comments: