Thursday, February 04, 2010

ELEMENTAL SCAVENGER HUNT: Fire


White Pine Cone: There are few natural items better for starting a fire than a pine cone. Full of tar and pitch, it makes excellent kindling. In addition, some pine trees, such as Jack Pine, require fire to open their seed cones for dispersal. For these reasons, I think of pines as cousins of the fire.

Sycamore Leaf: Only when hot weather arrives do the sycamore trees leaf out. A tree of summer, they are attuned to its heat and warmth. Come fall, these trees lose their leaves early, usually turning a bright yellow. Sycamores represent the fires of summer.

Red Oak Leaf: In the Celtic tradition, the oak is associated with Taranis, the Celtic God of Thunder. Often struck by lightening, oak trees are sacred to Him. Because of this ancient association, oak represents the illumination of fire.

Cicada Shell: In hot August, you can hear the cicadas buzzing in the trees. The hotter it becomes, the louder they buzz. After mating and molting, they often leave their shells in the tree sap for me to discover. For me, cicada shells contain the heated passions of August.

Piece of Basalt: This volcanic rock came from deep within the earth. Since I live in an area of few volcanoes, I purchased it at the nature center that I go to. For me it represents the fires of earth, the molten center of life.

No comments: