Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Meditation (part 2)

What I have discovered in my meditation practices is that an engrossing one is as good as sitting and chanting. Doing needlepoint is a reflective activity. I am lulled by the rhythm of the push and pull of the needle through the cloth. When I am finished, I have created something of beauty. Another form of meditation for me is cooking in a mindful way. As I choose the food for myself and my family and prepare it, I connect to the Gods. Cooking and needlework focuses me to the task at hand and takes me out of myself. When I am engaged in these activities, my mind and body become joined in a meaningful way.

I take walks. Walking the same route daily, I set my mind free to where it wants to go. The rhythm of walking stills the chatter of my mind and helps me to focus inward. As I walk, I notice the trees, squirrels, buildings, and focus on one at a time. By doing this, I commune directly with nature. The walk transports me away from the here and now, and propels me into the world beyond. When I return home, I feel uplifted.

Also, I keep a daily journal. Writing down everything that occurs to me is a way of clearing my mind. With free association, I write down all sorts of things that are on my mind. Afterwards, I sort through and discover what is going on inside.

When I keep a drawing diary, I move deeper into the world of color, shape, and form. I focus on my subjects and see things that I have never known. I learned that ferrets have purple highlights in their fur, and that rainbow trout really do reflect the rainbow. Every moment is a polished jewel in my mind.

As I worked through my problems, I arrived at these methods for mediation. I prefer switching around, rather than using one method only. This works best for me.

No comments: