Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Tarot and Dragons


To understand divination more deeply, one important tool to know is the Tarot.  Although I am not particularly enamored of the Tarot, I have gained much from learning its symbolic system. Also, I enjoy the creativity displayed by many authors of Tarot decks.  Since I am a nature enthusiast, I collect oracle and Tarot decks on this topic.  In addition, I do own four of the decks that feature dragons.

Because many Tarot decks usually follow either the Rider-Waite or Thoth symbolic structures, it is easy to grasp the meanings of cards once these two set-ups are learned.  This makes it easier to understand the topics presented in various Tarot decks.  I like how these decks explore a particular subject in depth through the use of the symbolism of the Tarot.  For me, this both sparks my desire to learn more and allows me to explore in depth each topic.

For example, “Animals Divine Tarot” by Lisa Hunt has the condor represent the Eight of Swords.  For the meaning of this card, Lisa Hunt writes “inflexibility, self-imposed restrictive thinking.”  At first glance, condors would be more appropriate for the Nine of Swords (Nightmare) or the Ten of Swords (Failure), since these birds feast on the dead.  However the condors of the New World are related to storks instead of hawks.  These large birds are going extinct because they are restricted in what they eat and where they nest.  (They evolved to feast on the carcasses of large mammals in the Ice Age.)  Hence “restriction” is an appropriate association for condors.

Because I am visually oriented, I enjoy looking at and collecting Tarot decks.  I like to see how various people exhibit their creativity about particular subjects.  Because of my orientation, I can glean a lot of information from each card beyond the usual Tarot meaning.  Therefore the visual aspect of each Tarot card is important to me in divination and meditation.  The Tarot cards that I enjoy meditating on are usually colorful and modern in their artwork.

I believe that my experience with the various Dragon Tarot decks would be similar to the decks I already have.  When I read a Tarot card, I usually tap into the imagery of the card.  Because I regard the Tarot to be a road map to other worlds, I usually follow its direction in these matters.  For me, the Tarot delineates landmarks and places to go.  In addition, the Tarot helps me to safely explore these other worlds.

I think that the Dragon Tarot decks would offer a gateway to the world of dragons, and would further my understanding of dragons.  These Tarots can offer clear pathways to the world of dragons.  Since the Tarot offers the way in and the way out, I feel safe in exploring the world of dragons.  Moreover, each card can act as a gatekeeper to watch over my interaction with the dragons.  Through these Tarots, I can discover more about these magnificent creatures.

Works Used

Drury, Neville, “The Tarot Workbook”, Thunder Bay: San Diego, 2004.

Fontana, David, “The Essential Guide to the Tarot”, Watkins Publishing: London, 2011.

Hunt, Lisa, “Animals Divine Tarot”, Llewellyn: St. Paul (MN), 2005.

Perrins, Christopher, ed., “Firefly Encyclopedia of Birds”, Firefly Books: London, 2003.

Zerner, Amy and Monte Farber, “Tarot Secrets”, Zerner/Farber Editions: New York, 2009.
Bird

No comments: