Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"The Song of Amergin" - My Meditation (part 3)

“Who calls the cattle from Tethys?”
Who indeed? Who does the cattle listen to? Who commands cattle and men? The One who knows the ages of the moon. The One who knows the place of sunset.

“On whom does Tethys smile?”
On the Boar of Boldness. On the wind on sea, on the One who fills the head with fire. Tethys smiles on the fair and wise.

“Who is the Troop?”
Who indeed? The Troop of men? The troop of the fairy folk?. The Troop of all? I am the roar of Sea. I am Lake on Plain. I am all this and more.

“Who is the One who places infections in Blades?
...enchantments on the Spear?
....enchantments of Wind?”
The Bull of Seven Fights. The Dewdrop. I am One who does all. I am Spirit of all. I am on whom Tethys smiles.

----------------

The Entire Poem

I am Wind on Sea,
I am Ocean-wave,
I am Roar of Sea,
I am Bull of Seven Fights,
I am Hawk on Cliff,
I am Dewdrop,
I am Fairest of Flowers,
I am Boar for Boldness,
I am Salmon in Pool,
I am Lake on Plain,
I am a Mountain in a Man,
I am a Word of Skill,
I am the Point of a Weapon,
A weapon fierce in battle,
I am One who fills the Head with Fire.

Who makes smooth the rugged mountain?
Who knows the ages of the Moon?
Who knows the place of the Sunset?
Who calls the Cattle from House of Tethys?
On whom does Tethys smile?
Who is the Troop?
Who is the One who places infection on Blades?
Enchantments on the Spear?
Enchantments of Wind?

(From the Lebor Gabala Erenn, The Book of the Taking of Ireland, Part V, R.A.S. Macalister, trans. and ed., London, Irish Texts Society, 1956. Some lines are revised.)

No comments: